Good Morning Xangaland!
I have to update you on something rather important. Most of you will remember that a few months ago Ryan was told he was on a retraining list and was given the choice to volunteer or be volunteered. We chose to volunteer and be able to pick the career field he would retrain into, the time frame, and the base we would eventually be stationed at, and crossed our fingers that we could stay here.
He put in all of his paperwork, decided contracting was the career for him, and sat back to wait, as is expected of any good airman. We waited and waited and then the contracting chief at Luke decided he wanted Ryan here bad enough to push back his school dates and change things around if Ryan wanted him to. We said yes, delighted to have the chance to stay, put in the request, and all that was pending was the final routine approval and then we could give him the permission.
Well we waited and waited and were eventually told to not worry about it because we probably wouldn’t hear anything until January because of the holiday season but everything was fine.
Then a few weeks ago BAM.
Ryan went to work one morning and received an email telling him that he was pending non volunteer approval. He was very confused for we were volunteer. He started making phone calls.
Turns out that the Air Force, admittedly, took too long in the approval process even though Ryan did everything right they took too long and pushed it past the deadline. So we were thrown over onto a non volunteer list and lost all the benefits of volunteering. There was nothing any one could do. It was their mistake but we will pay for it and it can not be reversed. Because of the timing we were thrown into a rush as well. As of 4pm Friday they had already put him on a pending class seat status. Though there was no career chosen yet.
That was a Friday… we worried over it for days…. Suddenly we had no control and no way to change anything. They were moving us and retraining him and we had no say. Let me just say the moving part is scary but not nearly as much as the thought of my husband being forced into a career he would not enjoy. They sent him a list of things they were considering for him. Among them were, food services, personal, and secret service. He hated the thought of them all….
Sunday night we had our church group pray and pray hard.
Monday morning we got news. He had received his class seat and career. You will never believe this. He got contracting! Not because he asked for it, it was simply luck of the draw, he asked to make sure. We were astonished. Well now we know that that was definitely the job for him and God definitely has a hand in it.
As of right now he must report to Tech School on April 26th and will graduate on June 21st. He signed his extension paperwork yesterday and has been told that the fact that he may have to reenlist may rush us getting orders but who knows…..
What we have been told officially is that about two weeks from graduation he will receive orders. If they are moving us he will most likely have to report right away and I will have to stay and sell the house and pack up our things. Then I’ll be flying to wherever we go to go house hunting and then once everything is done I’ll be moving up to join him.. I have a feeling that we’ll be moving.
For you see this is the scary part. The only thing that has changed through all of this is our ability to choose. He is still getting the same job but this takes away our ability to let the contracting chief push him back. At this point there is a very large probability that Phoenix will be unavailable to us completely…. So all we can do is leave it in God’s hands and pray.
Please pray for us that wherever we go be it here or somewhere new it will be precisely where God wants and needs us.
Guess this answers one of my Christmas wishes! Finding out for sure…..